Saturday, June 30, 2012

STORM!

Good practice for that island we might be buying!

After nearly 16 hours without power as the result of a horrific storm, we have power right now. Phone service, mobile and landline, is unreliable.

Maybe you've heard about the storm that left over 1 million of us without power here in the D.C. area.

I've spent all day long scurrying around, including going out on a scouting mission for gasoline. I managed to find only one gas station open anywhere near me.

I've been running in high gear ever since 4:30 A.M., when I adjusted Mr. AOW's hospital bed via a power inverter.

My cousin's husband, an electrician and an inactive Marine, saved the day by bringing over a generator, thus allowing for brewed coffee and running the fridge. I'm also prepared to run the sump pump if necessary.

Water pressure is low and dropping.

More storms are expected later today and tomorrow.

1 comment:

midnight rider said...

Happy you guys are okay. Time for a drink and a nap.

If anyone hasn't heard about the storms read about it here.

They're called derechos, "land hurricanes" -- somewhat rare but not unheard of.