Friday, June 17, 2011

Daughters of What American Revolution?

This morning I attended the Graduation Ceremony for my Nephew and Niece. A woman from the Daughters of the American Revolution was there to make a short speech and present some awards.


When she was announced I stood up, clapping and cheering loudly, as I was happy to see that this organization, dedicated to teaching about the Founding of the United States of America, was still doing it's thing in our schools.


But, much to my consternation, this is the content of the woman's speech:
"I have been studying about the Native Peoples of the land on which we stand, specifically, the people known as the "Mojave Indians". I don't know why they were called the Mojave Indians, but I did learn that they used to roam this land, looking for water, and living in different places all the time. 


And, this is why we are here today."
I am not exaggerating, nor demeaning the woman, to say that this was the entire intellectual content of her speech. It is not verbatim, but it is as close as I can recall. This is really what the "Daughter of the American Revolution" said.


There was nothing about the American Revolution, nothing about the Founding Fathers, and nothing about the development of the Constitution of the United States, nor, even, the Bill of Rights.


Just the message that, "we are here today" because some nomads a long time ago used to roam this land looking for water.


I don't know what could be stupider, or more overtly and backhandedly racist, or more vacuous, or more degenerate, or more obliterating to our culture, than to perpetuate such idiocy in our schools.

9 comments:

midnight rider said...

WHAT THE FUCK.

My own daughters, including the 13 year old, qualify (though are not members) of thsi organization and could write a better speech than that.

But then, they have to put up with this crazy conservative as their father and get history lessons ALL the time.

Always On Watch said...

The DAR used to give speeches that delineated our American heritage.

What has happened to the DAR? Ugh.

christian soldier said...

DAR has become a liberal organization - as a whole--
Sad-
C-CS

Anonymous said...

A couple of years ago, at another graduation in DC for medical professionals of George Washington University, I walked out as the woman at the lecturn began her speech recognizing the contributions of Islam to the medical field. There wasn't a muslim student on stage to appease, nor was there any muslim contingent visible in the audience. This was a white coat ceremony held in a hotel in DC. I remember as I checked in earlier, making a mental note of the hotel's lack of decor. All the walls were white without any art hanging anywhere. It felt institutional. If I hadn't been so dead tired, having driven 18 hours to get to the event and then helping the kids pack up to move home, I might have had the energy to do something. Anything. Unfortunately, it was all I could do to get up and leave, saying something to the effect of "like hell they did" and "I've had enough of this crap". I saw my other kids cringing in their seats with their father's arm extended to keep them there, each anticipating far more from me, but I chose to leave in a huff instead. This shit has got to stop. Wish I can remember the name of the hotel, as I bet dollars to donuts - it's decor and ceremonial recognitions of Islam are linked somehow.

Damien said...

Pastorius,

From what I understand at one point, the Daughters of the American Revolution was a white supremest organization, at least judging by what you wrote here, it doesn't sound like they are anymore. She sounds like a PC leftist more than anything else.

midnight rider said...

Damien -- you were closer to correct in your deleted original comment stating they were racist.

While it was not the "policy" of DAR -- the first Black member was admitted to DAR in 1977 -- there was a controversy/issue in the early 80's where a woman was denied very likely because she was black.

The president of DAR defended the action by saying the local chapters make their own decisions on who to admit or not but under pressure reversed course and it is now written into their charter/bylaws no discrimination based on race or religion.

By the way, that 1977 date for the first one is not indicative of anything racist. I believe it's simply because so few blacks were allowed toa ctively serve in some capacity then combined with a lack of birth and service records for them and further combined with the fact that an ancestry trace takes time effort usually some money (even more so 35 years ago) and I think it was just a matter of circumstance that it took that long for someone of black ancestry to be able to prove they qualified.

I could be dead wrong, of course, which wouldn't surprise me int he least.

Pastorius said...

Maybe they are trying to overcompensate?

Thing is, if that is the criteria by which we judge the history of old organizations in this country, then every organization is white supremacist.

But, it would not surprise me if the DAR came to the civil rights table later than many.

DAR is most known by most people for having sponsored American History Essay Contests in schools across the nation for decades.

Anonymous said...

If you want to know what the DAR stands for, and what the DAR does? Go to www.dar.org. It's all there.

The only spokesperson for the DAR is the President General. While the woman may have been a DAR member, but she did not speak FOR the DAR

Damien said...

Anonymous,

Thanks for the web address.