Friday, October 15, 2010

Who Owns The Property If There Is No Note Associated With The Deed?

My dumb-ass speculation on the Foreclosure Crisis, based upon my limited understanding of the legal issues at hand.

From the New American:

Beginning in the 1990s, it became fashionable to sell mortgages to other parties, and the mortgage securitization industry was born. Mortgages were sold, repackaged, and sold again, and a bewildering array of mortgage-backed securities was created to underwrite this new market. The United States mortgage business not only went national but international as investors worldwide rushed to get a piece of the lucrative American real estate sector.




To help streamline the process, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac created a national mortgage electronic registry called MERS (Mortgage Electronic Registration System, Inc.), whose purpose was to streamline the transfer of mortgages by helping mortgage securitizers to avoid the costs and inconveniences of recording mortgages at local courthouses.
Unfortunately for the mortgage sector, there were two big problems with that approach. In the first place, mortgages and mortgage transfers are governed by state, not federal laws. By providing a means to circumvent the hassles of state laws and local jurisdictions, MERS effectively ran roughshod over state authority. The other, potentially greater, problem, is that the critical document in a mortgage transaction — the one that empowers the creditor to enforce the terms of the mortgage on a delinquent homeowner — is the note, in 45 out of 50 states. A note, like any claim on assets, must be properly signed to have the force of a title. If it is sold to a new owner, it must be signed again, and so forth. Only thusly can what is called the “chain of title” be legally established.

This is a very interesting case. Two issues need to be balanced, one of which could lead to our economic collapse, and the other of which could lead to our collapse into lawlessness.

The first is the moral issue of the individual's responsibility to pay off his debts. If individuals do not pay off debts they owe, our country will collapse economically.

However, the second issue, the legal issue, is even bigger (and when is the legal bigger than the moral?) If our government does not enforce the law when it comes to property, we will no longer have a free nation.

If the banks have chosen not to follow the legal procedures required to establish and maintain ownership of property, then IT IS THEIR FAULT that they would lose control of that property.

An individual would be required to follow through on the legal procedures to maintain his control of his property; he would have to fill out the necessary paperwork, and pay his mortgage and his taxes, or he would surely lose his property. Likewise, the banks must be held to the same standard, or we will collapse into lawlessness.

Thinking this through further, though, it is clear that if the banks don't own the property, NEITHER DO THE INDIVIDUALS, because the ownership agreement has not been followed through by the establishment of the proper paperwork. (It could be said, the individuals have more claim on ownership of the property then do the banks, because they were not the one's who initiated a change in ownership of the note. However, they did authorize such a sale, when they signed the mortgage papers.)

So, here's a question to ponder, and in the question lies a very heavy warning:

If neither the banks nor the individuals own the property, then who does own the property?

Do we follow the thread back to the last owner established by a deed?

Or, is the property ceded to the public good, to then be redistributed,

and, if so, by whom?

Or, is the property simply seized by the government outright, to be redistributed as the government sees fit.

Given the nature of our current administration and Congressional representatives, what do you think the solution would be?

12 comments:

Epaminondas said...

If the original mortgagee has KEPT his paper, HE HAS THE FINAL RECORD.

If not, or if he does not admit to it, GOOD LUCK, because who has the standing to evict?

MERS has no legal connotation. IT's as if IBA has a database of who had what on their license plates for the last 50 years, and attached that to a name. Cute, but what court would accept that as ownership of a car in 1991?

I have a feeling that in most cases this may turn out to be like the warehouse at the end of Indiana Jones one, if the bank EVEN HAS the record.

The way things are, will the govt SEIZE private property and evict? Who would do it? US Marshalls? US Army?

NO WAY.

We'd have a republican govt for the next 500 years

Always On Watch said...

Thank God I do not have a mortgage!

midnight rider said...

I do. With fucking Citibank. As I've talked about elsewhere I'm going through the Mortgage Modification process, with more lost documents, giving me incorrect fax numbers ("So who did I just fax my confidential information to?") all in the last 2 weeks.

But the topper. . .

I tried to pay my mortgage online last month online (on time but within the grace period) as I always do. The account wouldn't let me. A call to Citi informs me that online payment has been frozen now because of the mod. process. So I pay it over the phone (done that before as well).

2 weeks later I get the call that I'm delinquent.

Now, in the 27 montsh either my wife or I have been out of work I have still mnaged to always pay the mortgage, usually in the grace period but not late.

So I went absolutely fucking ballistic. The dog ran for cover. Neighbors shut their doors. And I was only on the phone.

Suddenly they find the payment. It was miscoded and mis-applied. Probably because the account is coded foreclosure.

That did not help my blood pressure. Nor the reps eardrums.

I demanded and got a supervisor. Who got it mostly sorted out. But only after being a smart ass through the whole thing, refusing to send me a note verifying the account was NOT in foreclosure and without any explanation as to why they didn't check to see there was a payment unapplied on the account before calling. So I asked for his sprvsr. Told me he was the highest I could go. What, you don't have a boss? So how do I complain to someone? Call this number. I did and they said I had to put it in writing.

These fucking banks do not care for their customers, the mortgagen holders. They do not want to help. They do not want to give up the money. They do not want to modify the mortgages. They would rather foreclose and selloff and get their money quicker.

And the fucking idiots in their credit departments and modification/loss mitigation departments have not a fucking clue as to what they are doing. ASk a question of 4 people in the same department and get six different answers.

Ok. Gotta stop now. On with AoW and WC in 45 minutes and I need to calm way down before I get there.

Fucking Citibank.

midnight rider said...

Now, understand I am not in one of those overpriced houses. It has held it's value throughout this mess (most of my neighborhood has). And I have a very normal 30 yr fixed mortgage.

Meanwhile, of course, they tell me to keep paying the mortgage until the process is done. And suddenly it's open for me to pay online again (I just did so last night).

BUT, I also have a credit card (several) with CIti that I have also managed to keep up with although it means we're not exactly eating Filet Mignon around here.

So I called them asked for a little help, I'm paying but it's getting tough. Can you help me somehow?

"Not unless you're delinquent."

Fucking Citibank.

midnight rider said...

And I'm just one story. There are millions like me and worse across this country. 100,000 homes foreclosed in September!

You think these people aren't pissed? You think they're going to let business as usual continue past November 2 if nothing is corrected, if they continue to lose their homes under what is increasingly being seen as massive fraud and/or incompetence by the banks?

IT IS GOING TO BE UGLY.

Pastorius said...

MR,
http://www.lukefisher.com/who's%20the%20commanding%20officer%20here.wav

Always On Watch said...

How can this mortgage mess be straightened out?

Always On Watch said...

Already, the mainstream media are saying, "This electronic mortgage flipping began 10 years ago." In other words, "Blame Bush."

Pastorius said...

I think it did begin that long ago. I don't know who to blame.

Epaminondas said...

This was not Bush.

IMHO.. this began with the unraveling of Glass Steagall's FDR based protection of mortgage lending based on geographic distribution of defaults ..called REDLINING.

The govt would not permit FDIC insured banks to grant mortgages under typical conditions (20-30% down, 20 years) to HOMES inside the red lined area. This was called racism UNDER J CARTER.

Right now there is a word for those who paid their mortgages, paid their car loans, credit cards and strive to do so on time.. and most of all for those who did it across time and space until they actually now own that property or set of wheels.

It's yiddish.


SCHMUCK : one who is stupid, foolish, or detestable

midnight rider said...

MERS was founded in 1995, well before Bush took office.

Anonymous said...

it has become soulless. I pitty poeple who work in these departments.