Friday, May 22, 2009

An Infidel's Saying "Hello" Offends Moslem

Via this posting at Jihad Watch:
When the landlady of my Toronto apartment building said an outraged neighbour had filed a complaint about me over an apparently inappropriate hallway interaction with his wife, my mind raced through the countless conversations I've had with fellow tenants, none of which seemed a possible source of offence.

It turns out, it wasn't a salacious transaction that had caused the complaint, but rather a neighbourly and -- to me -- entirely forgettable greeting, little more than a brief "good morning" as I passed my neighbours on the way to work.
An infidel's wishing a good day to a Moslem apparently isn't a courtesy. Rather, it is an insult.

The article in the National Post (via Jihad Watch) continues:
Still, it was enough of an affront for the man -- once a doctor somewhere in the Middle East, my landlady clarified -- to feel I had broken a cultural taboo. The incident started an awkward feud which has involved warnings not to repeat my indiscretion and one face-to-face shouting match, which included allusions to my impending death.

I expect the battle will wage on, as we appear to be stuck at an impasse.

His Muslim upbringing has ingrained in him a sense of entitlement to demand I not speak directly to his wife; and my prairie upbringing has ingrained in me a duty to strive for polite cohesion with my neighbours....
Here in Northern Virginias, we have a lot of Moslem bank tellers, many wearing hijabs. You may note the same in your locale. If so, infidel gentlemen, watch your step!

Robert Spencer also notes the following:
The funny thing about this is that if this man did start ignoring his neighbors, never holding the elevator for them, never greeting them, etc., onlookers would think him "xenophobic" and say that his coldness was the kind of thing that made Muslim immigrants feel alienated and lash out in terrorist acts.
To greet or not to greet? That is the question.

(Crossposted to Always On Watch)

4 comments:

christian soldier said...

Enjoyed the radio show this afternoon--thank you for your time and energy -Always OW...

Your post reminds me of an encounter I had at Loehman's -15 or so years ago-I walked in --- a tall - 'Mid Eastern' looking man was walking toward me- I >>>>>looked him in the eye and nodded my head--He started screaming and swearing--!!!I had met Islam's teaching and didn't know its full impact - I had been studying Mid Eastern thought but not intensely--
Needless to say>>> 9/ll intensified my study and brought back that incident!!
C-CS

Always On Watch said...

CS,
Quite an anecdote you've got there. I've not had anything like that happen to me. Yet.

As for today's radio show, all of us on the air were IBA members. A sort of family gathering for Memorial Day, although WC and I didn't plan any such thing for the show.

revereridesagain said...

They're waiting for the day when they can force us to creep by on whateverthehell side of the sidewalk they dictate with our eyes downcast. In the meantime, let's all get out there and wish every Muslim we see a hearty GOOD MORNING. No excuse for not being neighborly now is there?

We had one of these Muslima screamas working as a pharmacy tech of all things at the local CVS about 10 years ago. She logged in over 40 "insult" complaints against citizens with the town police. She stood in the middle of the store in front of all the customers and threatened to accuse the manager of rape if she didn't get her way. Several of us got anonymous death threats mailed to our homes. CVS finally got around her discrimination threats and fired her sorry ass and the next thing we knew she was managing a gas station up the road.

This was pre-9/11 so we all just assumed she was nuts.

Always On Watch said...

RRA,
We had one of these Muslima screamas working as a pharmacy tech of all things at the local CVS about 10 years ago. She logged in over 40 "insult" complaints against citizens with the town police.I heard about something similar in the D.C. area -- last October (2008) -- in one of our pharmacies. But in the case I heard about the Muslima complainer was a customer who harassed the pharmacy clerk (an African American) when the Muslima didn't wait quickly enough on her. The pharmacy clerk told me after the incident I myself witnessed that the Muslima was a regular customer and pulled that same crap every time she came in.