Saturday, March 14, 2009

BODY LANGUAGE ANALYSIS: Michelle Obama

From Booker Rising:

 First Lady Michelle Obama's interview with Robin Roberts was broadcast today on "Good Morning America", during her first solo out-of-town trip as First Lady. I just had to see if there was a change in ol' girl's body language from the Barbara Walters interview in November (ABC does not offer the embedded video option, so click here and here). Here's my armchair analysis, based on what I've read about body language and facial coding:


Mrs. Obama Says: "Military Families Is An Important Issue To Me"
Her True Belief: "It May Not Be An Important Issue To Me. I'm Still Figuring It Out"

She sighs, does a body shrug and then claims "well, this is an important issue for me" (3:58 mark). A combined sigh and body shrug is an indicator of lying. It means, "I have no confidence in what I'm saying." She then shrugs both shoulders (3:56 mark), which means "I don't know." These body movements suggest that she may be taking on the issue for political reasons, but it's not an issue that she is quite passionate about...at least at this time.

Mrs. Obama does a chin thrust (:53 mark) while claiming that she has faith that "our current Commander-In-Chief will see us through." Whoa! A chin thrust is a sign of anger. I don't know if she disagrees with any military policies that hubby has done so far, but she is angry with him about something in that arena. Which is interesting because it leads to the next big thing....

Mrs. Obama Says: "I'm Positive About The Economy Because I Believe In This Nation And In My Husband"

Her True Belief: "I Don't Believe In This Nation Nor In My Husband, At Least When It Comes To The Economy"

She vigorously shakes her head no while making this claim (:39 mark), which means it is not her true belief. I.e., she is lying. She then follows it up with a left shoulder shrug (:35 mark), which is an indicator that she doesn't believe what she is saying. This is an interesting development, because in the footage from the Barbara Walters interview in November, when her husband was still President-Elect, she was body-verbal congruent - i.e., truthful - when she said that she believed in her husband and his vision. Something is going on here. Perhaps she disagrees with something that President Obama is doing re: the economy, or she doesn't believe that he can fix the economy. However, it's something.

When she states that she wouldn't want anyone else heading up things but her husband because he is a "focused, clear-thinking, rational man" (:28 mark), her head is shaking no and yes. This indicates that she is actually unsure about her claim.

Mrs. Obama Says: "Malia And Sasha Are Doing Great In The White House"
Her True Belief: "For At Least One Of The Girls...Not So Great"

Mrs. Obama is shaking her head no while making this claim (2:59 mark, Video #2). She also looks downward, and a gestural emblem of worriness flashes across her face several times. She is actually concerned about the adjustment of at least one of her daughters, or possibly both.

Mrs. Obama Says: "Having My Mom Help Out Is Great! It's Immeasurable"
Her True Belief: "I'm Unsure About Having Mom With Us In The White House"

Mrs. Obama shrugs her shoulders (2:36 mark), but without a sigh, and thus is an "I don't know" indicator. She also looks downward and then does a chin thrust (2:32 mark), displaying an indicator of anger. Perhaps Mrs. Obama and her mother have some disagreements about parenting skills, but she has some anger toward Mrs. Robinson about something in this arena. She later jokes about there being a "little extra piece of dessert tonight, I'm sure is going on" while she is on her out-of-town trip, so perhaps. She shakes her head no (at 1:59 mark) while claiming that "it's just been great to have her", which is followed up by shrugging her shoulders. In actuality, Mrs. Obama is conflicted about her mother being in the White House.

LMAO when Mrs. Obama sarcastically stated, "Well, I covered my arms up" for this interview when Ms. Roberts compliments her about her workouts (:11 mark)! More of this interview will be shown tonight, so I await more footage!

No comments: