Friday, December 29, 2006

Bye Bye Saddam

I was pleasantly surprised to read tonight that Saddam's imminent hanging is likely to be much more imminent than the thirty days as initially reported earlier this week:
Former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, sentenced to death for his role in 148 killings in 1982, will have his sentence carried out by Sunday, NBC News reported Thursday. According to a U.S. military officer who spoke on condition of anonymity, Saddam will be hanged before the start of the Eid religious holiday, which begins at sundown Saturday.
The hanging could take place as early as Friday, NBC’s Richard Engel reported.

(HT to Charles at Little Green Footballs)

Is it ungodly of me to take great delight in imagining Saddam cowering in fear in the shadow of the gallows?
I can understand the security concerns that will hang over this execution (if you'll pardon the expression), but I hope that they can contrive a way to let Saddam know the very specific date, time and minute that he is to die. Given his megalomania, I can think of no more fitting mode of punishment than inexorable justice, with him knowing that each sunset, each and every chime that rings in the next hour, all bring him closer to an inescapable death that he finds dishonorable (I can't find the link, but I remember reading somewhere that his choice is to be shot, in order to die a soldier's death).
Hit him where it will hurt most: his ego.

Hoping that I can add to his humiliation, I've compiled this musical to kick him while he's down. Enjoy:

3 comments:

Dag said...

I love your work, Charles. Saddam should see it before he goes, swinging, doing those things hanged people do, most of which would upset the average person to know the details of, and things Saddam likely knows himself from having enjoyed witnessing the agonies and humiliation of others. I know what it is, and when I call for some to be hanged from lamp posts, I can claim to be aware of what I demand. A dirty way to go. And fitting for those who desrve it.

Anonymous said...

This is hilarious. Saddam's Last Request...Ghost Ride The Hood.

http://presidentmonkey.com/saddamghostrides.aspx

Captain USpace said...

..
absurd thought -
God of the Universe says
admire brutal dictators

absurd thought -
God of the Universe says
mourn evil tyrants...
..