Saturday, November 18, 2006

An Etymology Lesson From Infidel Bloggers Alliance

(Hat tip to Watcher)

We've all heard the phrase "motherfucker." Now, I don't know about you, but I've always wondered where it came from. It's a strange form of insult. While we can certainly all agree that anyone who does have a sexual relationship with his mother is degenerate and sick, in reality, it is very rare that we ever really believe that anyone is actually a motherfucker.

Think about it this way, when you call a guy a cocksucker, for instance, you really mean it, in some sense. You mean that he is less than manly, or that he is a suckup, overly ingratiating, or whatever. Whe you call a guy a shithead, you mean he has shit for brains, that he is thick, or stupid.

But, when you call a guy a motherfucker, you don't, in any sense, really mean that he resembles a guy who would have sex with his mother, right? You just don't, do you?

So, where did this mysterious phrase come from?

Well, it turns out it is a curse which originated in the Middle Eastern Christian community, in the days before they had been thoroughly dhimmified. The original version of the curse went thusly,

"You disgust me like Mo The Fucker."

And, of course, they were referring to the hated one, Mohammed himself.

In other words, you are an insecure, psychopathic, power-obsessed freak of a man.

The curse was later shortened to simply, "Mo The Fucker." Then, it became run together in its pronunciation, "Mothefucker." And, it gradually evolved into the modern, "Mothafucker."

Well, there you have it. Don't ever say you don't learn anything here at IBA.

7 comments:

Watcher said...

I was kind of puzzled as to why I got the HT, but then I realized that the lesson was a follow up to this.

Pastorius said...

Exactly.

I couldn't remember where the post was.

Hope you don't mind the hat tip.

Anonymous said...

Well I'll be damned. That was interesting and I won't forget it.

Pastorius said...

Hopefully , it was edifying for you.

The origins of words are not always what you think.

ziontruth said...

Very groovy. I liked. I'm not into profanity, but if we infidels say it enough, it'll be better than the Danish Cartoons. Look forward to the Motherf***er Jihad!

For my part, I prefer to call him Aishaboinker.

Pastorius said...

That'll do too.

Anonymous said...

Do you actually think that the "Middle Eastern Christians" spoke English? You do know they spoke Arabic and still do, right?

Dear oh dear.