Friday, September 15, 2006

Oriana Fallaci, R.I.P.

Seven months ago, Robert Spencer put up a post on Jihad Watch titled Fallaci Beheaded. It was about an art exhibit in Milan featuring an image of Oriana Fallaci decapitated. Probably like many other readers, the title “sent a jolt through me” (the words of a commenter), thinking they really managed to get her.

This is a Religion of Perpetual Outrage, whose followers, if they have a dermis at all, have such that its diameter requires a microscope to measure. Though it would have been distressing to hear Fallaci had been beheaded, it would have been no surprise; it is to hear now, that Oriana Fallaci died in bed, that is surprising.

I strive to commemorate her as Mr. Spencer has now suggested: by emulating her actions. The more people do as she did, the less chance there will be for the arrival of the dreaded condition in which it will be unexpected, surprising for any non-Muslim to die in bed.

Into the company of G-d’s Righteous you go, Oriana Fallaci. Rest in peace.

Cross-posted on Our Children Are The Guarantors

5 comments:

Always On Watch said...

A day for more grief, after a week of griving as I read various 9/11 tributes.

I also posted on her passing, but I'm so upset that I couldn't manage to use many of my own words. Maybe later.

I knew that Oriana's passing was imminent, but I'm still so sad. We have lost a warrior!

Avi Green said...

It's sad, because while the imam who filed suit against her can't do so now, she was still one of the best warriors out there. May her soul be blessed.

KG said...

Rest in peace, Oriana. And may you be blessed.

Atheist or not, God or not.

Anonymous said...

Fortunately, "The Force of Reason" appears to be widely available. I saw a stack of it in the local Borders of all places. "The Rage and the Pride", which was the direct result of her experience of 9/11 (she lived in NYC) is a bit harder to find but still available as well. I urge people to honor her by reading her books and urging others to do so.

ziontruth said...

Demosthenes,

I take your point (we're civilized people, we don't react violently to things we disagree with. Well, actually I do often react violently to what I read on CounterPunch, but the recipient of that violence is my punching bag. Ahem--back to the topic...). I write posts for my blog first, and then, if I think it could be of general interest to all those aligned against Islam, I post it here. A lot of my blog posts don't show up here, because they're only of interest to Jewish and Israeli readers. Now, even those posts that I do end up posting here are from my Orthodox Jewish point of view.

I wrote that last sentence casually, something an Orthodox Jew wouldn't give a lot of thought when writing from his point of view. So it didn't spring to my mind it could be read by someone who doesn't share my belief in G-d and soul. And I had no intention of proselytizing for my faith, nor could I have possibly had, because Judaism keeps to itself. But the Orthodox Jewish point of view sanctions the recognition of people who decry the evil of their day and fight for righteous causes, and in that, the late Oriana Fallaci was no different from Oskar Schindler, so I had to write that.