Saturday, May 13, 2006

Update on Mohammed cartoons

Participants will discuss ways of overcoming ignorance of Islam and Muslims that fuel Islamophobia in the West.
They will also address a host of speeches on the phenomenon and the status of Muslims in the West.
One of the speeches will discuss reasons of perceiving Islam as a threat to the West.
Another speech will tackle Islam and peace as personified in the life of Prophet Muhammad.
A documentary about Islamophobia in the previous years will also be viewed during the event.

1 comment:

Pastorius said...

We keep reading about this encroaching idea of calling Free Speech, Islamophobia, in Europe. And, in the U.S., we have people who succumb to the same kind of thinking. I can't understand it. It seems SO apparent to me that because religion is a center of power in human society, the criticism of religion is essential.

And yet, criticism of religion does not seem so essential to so many Europeans. It seems to me that it is as if they long for a return to the Dark Ages. And yet, they are proceeding so confidently, it makes me wonder if there is some hidden wisdom behind their apparent idiocy.

I wrack my mind trying to figure out their motives, and I can come up with no reason, just fear.

But, then I wonder if I am just predisposed to thinking of Europeans in this way.

I want to be fair, but it seems to me Europe is a prisoner that is just rolling over and taking the gang rape.

Will this continue?